- This article is about the mount. For the creature type, see Griffon.
Griffon is a hidden mount found in the Crystal Desert in Path of Fire that can be unlocked after completing the Path of Fire storyline.“
Glorious and noble beasts, the art of taming griffons for flight has only been recently recovered.
— In-game description
The griffon's special movement ability is flight. While it cannot gain altitude above its starting point, apart from a substantial hop at the start, it can flap its wings periodically to regain some of the altitude lost in gliding, allowing near-level flight. By hopping on to structures or elevated terrain, it can quickly gain height. This makes it in many respects a more effective version of the glider introduced in Heart of Thorns.
After completing the Path of Fire storyline, players will begin to find strange items such as Strange Pellet of Bones and Fur, Strange Droppings and Strange Feather, which direct them to Beastmaster Ghazal in The Menagerie within Garden of Seborhin, in the northern Domain of Vabbi. He'll point players to his assistant, Seeker Kandake, at Spearmarshal's Lament on Yahnur Plateau in the southeastern part of the Domain of Vabbi.
To get there, players must brave the Fury of the Brand that calls down lightning on everyone who is grounded and not under cover. One way to reach Yahnur Plateau is to move south from Vehtendi Academy Waypoint and then follow the path east through the Brandstorm. Use the skimmer to avoid taking damage from the lightning in the area. Once the river is crossed, use a springer to ascend to the plateau (having the High Vault mastery is recommended). Alternately, follow the path just north of Vehtendi Vineyard towards the east, then up onto the land that projects out into the river; there is a jackal portal here that will take you directly to the camp (there will be two chests along the way as well). After talking to Kandake, continue jumping up with the springer towards the vista shielded by another djinn. From there, the Sunspear Sanctuary is visible to the east. If the Path of Fire story is completed, this area can be reached without further lightning strikes.
Interacting with the Remains of the Last Spearmarshal in the ruins of the sanctuary and answering "I'll see what I can do." unlocks the "Open Skies" collections which, if completed, unlock the griffon mount. You will also be given a Spearmarshal's Plea, which will teleport you back to the Last Spearmarshal in the Spearmarshal's Lament, and you will be able to borrow a griffon for as long as you stay mounted, each time you go back. Each collection consists of collecting runestones from events, finding and collecting griffon eggs scattered across the map, and buying items from Heart Merchants. There are 10 items in total that must be purchased. Each item costs 25 , for a total of 250 to unlock the mount.
If the Griffon Sanctuary is accessed prior to completing the story, e.g. by using a Teleport to Friend, nothing there can be interacted with. Players who arrive there after completing the story can interact with the Remains of the Last Spearmarshal to unlock the "Open Skies" collections, whether or not they have followed the "strange items" that lead them there.
- Crystal Desert: Open Skies: Sunspear Sanctuary — Gather Sunspear relics from all 5 maps and restore them to the Sunspear sanctuary. (3)
- Rare Collections: Open Skies: Crystal Oasis — Collect 9 relics to restore the Sunspear sanctuary. (3 )
- Rare Collections: Open Skies: Desert Highlands — Collect 9 relics to restore the Sunspear sanctuary. (3 )
- Rare Collections: Open Skies: Elon Riverlands — Collect 9 relics to restore the Sunspear sanctuary. (3 )
- Rare Collections: Open Skies: The Desolation — Collect 9 relics to restore the Sunspear sanctuary. (3 )
- Rare Collections: Open Skies: Domain of Vabbi — Collect 9 relics to restore the Sunspear sanctuary. (3 )
- Rare Collections: Open Skies: Sunspear Wisdom — Collect 11 books on Sunspear history from Kormir's sanctum. (3 )
- Crystal Desert: Open Skies: On Wings and a Prayer — Return the Writings of the Last Spearmarshal to the pedestal in the sanctuary. (3)
|Soaring Rescue||571,500||3||Learn to mount the griffon midair to save yourself while falling.|
|Aerial Prowess||609,600||4||Learn to gain aerial prowess with your griffon. Use Swoop to dive rapidly and engage foes below you. Use this momentum to pull up from a dive to fly forward at great speeds, or even directly upward.|
|Aerial Finesse||698,500||5||Master the griffon by learning to use its Wing Flap ability, which allows you to gain a burst of speed while diving or climbing into the sky.|
|Griffon||Summon and mount your griffon.|
|1||Swoop||Engage. While on the ground; Jump|
|Dismount||Dismount your mount|
After learning the three masteries, general movement is controlled by the following default controls:
- Directional movement (horizontal) -
- Dive -
- Flap -
- Rise -
Once the griffon is fully unlocked, the player will have additional control options available as keybinds. In your Control Options menu, under Mounts, you will find Mount Ability 1 and Mount Ability 2. For the griffon, these keybinds translate to Dive and Rise respectively. By default, your character can Dive using the , and Rise using . If the "Disable Conditional Mount Movement Ability Input" option is selected (under General Options), the Move Backward keybind (default ) may also be used to Rise, overriding in certain situations its usual functionality to slow the griffon down.
Diving downwards does not consume your endurance bar and generates a small bit of speed. Flapping while diving will give you a significant speed boost and consume your endurance. You can dive manually when your endurance is at 66% and automatically at 100%, similarly to flapping. Simply let go of your Mount Ability 1 key to stop diving and level off. A longer dive results in more speed. Flapping just once during a dive instantly puts you at the maximum speed.
Pressing and holding Flap shortly after pressing and holding Dive (when initial dive animation is still in progress) will shorten endurance regeneration further to about 1 second.
Rising may only be accomplished after successfully diving. Simply hold your Mount Ability 2 key to rise. Instead of endurance, Rising takes your momentum and speed in exchange for height. You will regain roughly the same amount of height as you dived if you Rise fully. You can usually only hit this once or twice before you've lost too much momentum to continue rising.
- Tips to sustain speed and height
- You can flap while diving or while gliding at 66%. Holding down the spacebar will flap at 100% intervals.
- While participating in adventures, flying through a circle replenishes your endurance bar fully.
- Quickly pressing Dive>Flap>Rise will generate a small burst of speed without generating height, allowing you to fly quickly, though not as fast as a full dive.
- Concept art
- Applying a dye on the griffon will change the color of its feathers, primarily those along its wings, along with its ears, back, top of its neck, tips of the feathers on its forelegs, and tail.
- The griffon's endurance regenerates in approximately 4 seconds; however, it regenerates faster if it is diving or grounded and is further shortened to about 1 second when performing dodge jump dive.
- A fully-upgraded griffon is the fastest mount available in the game, able to cover significant ground in flight following a boosted dive.
- Once the collection has been unlocked, players can get a temporary griffon from one of 5 Griffon Roosts.
- You can hold spacebar to continually command the griffon to flap its wings to stay into the air, which it will do each time your endurance is full. However, you can manually command the griffon to flap as soon as your endurance bar is filled at 3/4, which will not reduce the altitude gained compared to a full-endurance flap.
- Unlike Glider, griffon cannot use updrafts to gain altitude.
- The third Mastery introduces the ability to use wing flap while rising after a dive. The height gained from this varies depending on how fast you are currently going.
- While idle, the griffon will perform several animations:
- The griffon and its rider will look either left or right for a few seconds.
- The griffon will stretch out in a very feline manner, first stretching its fore- and hindlegs, before arching its back up high, lifting the rider while they also stretch.
- The griffon will turn to preen some of the feathers on its right wing.
- The griffon's theme is known as "Legendary Ascent" in the Path of Fire soundtrack.
- There is a miniature of this mount.
- Unlike griffons in Central Tyria, the griffon mount possesses more avian features, including avian-style hindfeet and feathers along the base of its tail, along with a much thicker tail in general. Additionally, it is the only species of griffon to have predominately webbed wings, along with two digits on each wing.
- Lore-wise, the mountable griffons in Elona are counted as universally rare, thus leaving the average Elonian without access to it. Even the wealthiest Elonian noble would find it nigh impossible to obtain a griffon by simply purchasing one. However, it is also possible that the more common and accessible griffons have the potential to become mounts through training.
- Unlike the other four mounts released with Path of Fire, the griffon's existence was not confirmed by ArenaNet until after the release of the expansion. As such, information about it was only made available once players found it in game. Some official material from before the launch of Path of Fire has retroactively had information about the griffon added.
- The walking animation of the Griffon uses a pacing gait which is uncommon in nature.
- According to its 3D designer, the owl-like features of the griffon were inspired by the barn owl, noting especially its heart-shaped face, which is also commonly seen in many species of barn owl. 
Unlocking these achievements will grant access to the corresponding Griffon Expert and Griffon Master adventures.
- Crystal Desert: Griffon Expert — Unlock the Aerial Prowess Mastery for griffons. (5 )
- Crystal Desert: Griffon Master — Unlock the Aerial Finesse Mastery for griffons. (5 )