Urban Battleground Fractal
Urban Battleground Fractal
The Urban Battleground Fractal is one of the Fractals of the Mists. The fractal consists of the invasion of an unnamed Ascalonian city by the Flame Legion. Players are transformed into charr and must take over the city. The fractal is a depiction of the events of The Searing, where the charr invaded the kingdom of Ascalon. The Urban Battleground Fractal occurs at Fractal levels 1, 11, 31, 57, 66, 78, and 85.
- Take the Ascalonian city
In this fractal, your entire team will relive the fall of an Ascalonian city by being transformed into Flame Legion charr, with several veteran Flame Legion charr as allies, fighting an army of veteran Ascalonians. Your party will have to fight through the waves of Ascalonians to reach the end of the fractal.
The Gate and Dulfy
First head into the battlefield, and go north to the marker. Getting to this point is difficult as every Ascalonian is of Veteran status while your allies are normal. There is a group of Veteran Flame Legion to the middle south section, but they do not appear to move. The party must move to the gate and take it down so you may progress. A champion, Siegemaster Dulfy, will be standing in front of the gate you need to destroy, along with two ballistae, two arrow carts, and 3 Pots of Burning Oil raining fire just over the gate. Dulfy is capable of using all of these at once and can repair (or rebuild) them if they are damaged, except for the burning oil. The best method to pass this fight is simply to ignore the siege equipment and destroy the oil first. After this, Dulfy should fall much more easily. Arrow carts and ballistae do minimal damage, but the latter can be annoying with their knockdown. The burning oil is easily avoided simply by not being too close to the wall, but beware that the oil actually has more range than the animation suggests. It is advised to remain spread out while destroying these siege weapons as arrow carts have a wide range and rapid deployment. Be careful of additional Ascalonians that decide to join the fight. Demolish the gate after Dulfy has fallen.
One strategy in this area is to wait for the initial allies to attack and clear some of the initial mobs until they die. They will respawn in the initial tent. After this move immediately to the right hand side and avoid most of the mobs. Clear any in the immediate vicinity and move along to Dulfy. Clearing the oil with ranged attacks should be the first priority. After this AOE capable characters should attack Dulfy and the surrounding ballistae and arrow carts, melee characters should attack Dulfy directly. Warriors equipped with greatswords can use Hundred Blades and attack Dulfy and do devastating damage to the arrow carts if positioned right.
Once the gate is destroyed, find your way to the courtyard though the city.
The city has random components, so the path may not be the same each time it is visited. Heading right and circling around the city counter-clockwise works most of the time, but if you find a barricade at the end of the first street, turn around and head left and go clockwise instead. You will come across a few pockets of resistance comprised of various Ascalonians, with the occasional ballista, along the way.
Push through them and enter the courtyard. The middle is littered with ballistae and arrow carts. Draw the crowd of Ascalonians away from the siege weapons by party stacking up behind destroyed statue at circle edge and pulling enemies to it, before demolishing the weaponry. After this is complete, a Flame Shaman will join your party to summon a ball of fire.
You will need to defend the shaman from waves of Ascalonians until the summoning is complete. The waves (3 Soldiers) spawn one at the time, starting at north gates and continue to spawn at each gate clockwise. If the spawn is defeated quickly, another wave will spawn at the same gates. The waves are comprised of various Ascalonian types.
Once the summoning is complete, the molten rock will barrel towards the large church, crashing the gates down and unleashing Captain Ashym, who will rush to the center of the courtyard.
Ashym has an unstrippable protection boon and he will gain an unstrippable retaliation boon and summon minions that grant him large stacks of might. Ashym hits hard, but most of his skills are damage-over-time AOEs like Meteor Shower, so it will make it much easier to just spread the party out and attack him at range. However, it is recommended that the party stack on top of him when the fight first starts so that the NPCs will group on him and attack him. This will enable the party to hit him with a good chunk of damage until he kills the NPCs (usually with agony, which one-shots them all instantly). When he summons a minion, they will be a Veteran Ascalonian Squire that carries a banner with him. Don't let his small size fool you as he can deal a large chunk of damage with a single simple strike. You can either slay the squire each and every time he appears or ignore him and simply time your dodges to avoid Ashym and his minions. At quarter marks of his life, or 75%/50%/25%, he may switch to a staff and cast powerful fire spells. As Ashym gets close to 25% health, if he has already switched to his staff earlier in the fight, there is a chance he will switch again and summon a Fiery Greatsword that will deal massive damage to players. Reflects will deal large amounts of damage back to Ashym if timed with his Flame Wave during this phase. It is advised to stay relatively spread our during this fight to avoid Ashym's wide arc of swing or the plethora of spells he throws at your party. Once Ashym falls, the fractal is complete.
- Attempt to keep your own protection and retaliation up any chance you get.
- Apply regeneration to mainly your tankers to help mitigate burning damage.
- While Ashym is Legendary, and therefore immune to conventional crowd control, his minion is not.
- If you must, have one person dedicated to keeping the minion down every time it spawns.
- At levels 31 and above, Ashym will send out two pulses of fire that inflicts burning and Agony. This can easily be avoided by out-ranging him.
- Use Reflect skills to counter the attacks from the archers.
- Blind can be very useful at high levels to negate the damage from the Ascalonian Warriors.
- Stability can be very useful at the Gate with Dulfy and at the Courtyard as the repetitive attacks from the ballistae will knock down players who get hit.
- Multiple stacks of Might can be stolen from the Veteran Ascalonian Monks.
- The Captain begins the fight by blocking all attacks for a few seconds, so do not unload your burst damage too soon.
- Elite Flame Legion Bladestorm
- Flame Legion Fire Shaman
- Veteran Flame Shaman
- Veteran Flame Legion Axe Fiend
- Veteran Flame Legion BladeStorm
- Veteran Flame Legion Fire Shaman
- Veteran Flame Legion Shadowblade
- Veteran Flame Legion Stalker
- Captain Ashym
- Siegemaster Dulfy
- Veteran Ascalonian Archer
- Veteran Ascalonian Cultist
- Veteran Ascalonian Enchanter
- Veteran Ascalonian Fighter
- Veteran Ascalonian Mage
- Veteran Ascalonian Monk
- Veteran Ascalonian Warrior
- Dessa Observation Mode: You've been...grafted into this ancient battle. That's never supposed to happen. Just...stay alive until I figure this out.
- Siegemaster Dulfy: You'll never take Ascalon! We'll die first!
During the fractal
- Dessa Observation Mode: Oh, you're still there. Good. I'm reading strong interference. The instability is just...everywhere! Keep fighting.
When the ritual starts
- Veteran Flame Legion Fire Shaman: Be cleansed with the purity of flame!
- Veteran Flame Legion Fire Shaman: Fire and smoke, flame and rage. Take shape, and burn the world into submission!
During the final fight
- Captain Ashym: Rally to me, Ascalonians! (upon spawning)
- Captain Ashym: You'll never conquer Ascalon! (shouting) (upon entering combat)
- Captain Ashym: I will never surrender! (at 25% health)
After finishing this fractal
- Dessa Observation Mode: Massive energy spike! It's leveling everything...and heading right for you. Brace yourselves! Initiating emergency extraction!
- There are always three ways open in the map. Not necessarily all go through, but three are open at all times. (Sometimes inner gates, sometimes outer gates).
|Urban Battleground Fractal Stabilizer||Fractals of the Mists||5|
|You've completed the Urban Battleground fractal inside the Fractals of the Mists.The city is yours! What's left of it anyways.||1 Fractals||5|
|Out of Cluck||Fractals of the Mists||15|
|While inside the Urban Battleground fractal, your team killed all the chickens in the city.Nothing like roast chicken after a successful siege.||1 Challenges||5|
- Killing all chickens in the area will grant the achievemnt to everyone in the party.
- Siegemaster Dulfy is named after the video game blogger dulfy for her contributions towards the Guild Wars 2 community.
- The "Massive energy spike" Dessa talks about in the final line of dialogue is likely to be a reference to the sparking of the Foefire by King Adelbern.