Taimi's Pet Project
Taimi's Pet Project
- 1330 AE
- Living World Season 3
- Rata Novus
Interesting Times in Rata Novus
- Travel to Rata Novus.
- Head into the lab.
- Subdue Escaped Experiments: x/5
- Speak to Taimi.
- Convince Phlunt to leave.
- Talk to Marjory.
- (Collect mirrors.)
- Collect Holorecorder Mirrors: x/3
- (Activate the mirrors.)
- Mount Holorecorder Mirrors: x/3
- Open the secret Dragon Lab door.
- Speak to Lazarus.
- Defend the drones as they repair the mirrors.: x/3
- Lure Lazarus to the nexus of mirrors.
- Defeat and unmask Lazarus.
- Repel Balthazar's Mercenaries
- Check on Marjory.
- Talk to Taimi.
- Defeat the five dragon minion creations.
- After some conversation, find the three mirrors and bring them to the three collection points. Gliding and/or jumping skills are required for two of them.
- Activate the gate. The third option leads to two "boring" options where you click /continue. Then, choose Aurene's name.
- Speak to Lazarus.
- Kill a bunch of mercenaries working for Lazarus.
- Lazarus will be unmasked.
- Kill the minions. There are a lot, but you get a lot of help.
- More conversation, including about the downed Marjory.
- Taimi's Pet Project
|Taimi's Pet Project||Flashpoint||0|
|Complete the Taimi's Pet Project instance.Story Journal: Taimi's Pet Project||Completed the Taimi's Pet Project instance||0|
Simply complete the instance
- Born for Battle
|Born for Battle||Flashpoint||0|
| Defeat ten mercenaries during the final surge."AAAARRRRRGGHHH!"
||Defeated ten mercenaries during the Final Surge in Taimi's Pet Project.||0|
Defeat 10 of Balthazar's mercenaries. Achievement eligibility may be tracked via the Born for Battle effect.
- Fire Fighter
|Repair three of Taimi's malfunctioning sprinklers.Save the research!||Repaired Taimi's Sprinklers||2|
Easiest accomplished at the end of the episode after all the objectives have been completed. Climb the stairs in the middle of the room and use the updrafts to reach the three sprinklers located in the upper section of the room. Achievement eligibility may be tracked via the Fire Fighter effect.
- Ring of Fire
|Ring of Fire||Flashpoint||3|
|Avoid being hit by the ring of fire in Taimi's Pet Project.It burns, burns, burns...||Completed Taimi's Pet Project without taking damage from the ring of fire attack||3|
Avoid getting hit by Balthazar's red AoE circle. Achievement eligibility can be checked via the It Burns, Burns, Burns... effect found on the player's skill bar.
- Lazarus (turns hostile)
- Bodyguard (turns hostile)
- Kralkatorrik Experiment (turns allied)
- Primordus Experiment (turns allied)
- Jormag Experiment (turns allied)
- Mordremoth Experiment (turns allied)
- Zhaitan Experiment (turns allied)
- Various (Mercenaries)
- Inquest Assassin
- Inquest Magiscientist
- Inquest Researcher
- Mercenary Bruiser
- Mercenary Mesmer
- Mercenary Pistolier
- Mercenary Quickshot
- Mercenary Skirmisher
- Mercenary Sniper
- Broken Mirror
- Enclosure Controls
- Emergency Sprinkler
- Golem Control Panel
- Holorecorder Mirror
- Rata Novus Terminal
- Taimi's Machine
- Taimi: Commander, do you read me? Only answer if you're ready to be blown away!
- Taimi: Never mind. I can't wait! I finished my dragon machine! I'm about to perform the final tests!
- Taimi: So I'm kindly requesting the honor of your presence so you can be AMAZED AND FLABBERGASTED BY MY STAGGERING GENIUS! See ya soon!
At Rata Novus
Entering the instance:
- <Character name>: Kas! Didn't expect to see you here, popping in like that.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Hi, Commander. I have a bone to pick with you...
- <Character name>: Before I get an earful, I told Marjory it was a terrible idea.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Marjory's her own person. If anyone knows that...
- <Character name>: A refreshing dose of rationality. I missed you.
- <Character name>: So. This bone that needs picking...
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Did my invite to Dragon's Watch get lost in the mail?
- <Character name>: Well, there was the matter of the bloodstone exploding... And Lazarus...
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Flimsy excuses. But...I'm in. If you'll have me.
- <Character name>: Absolutely. Have you heard from Marjory?
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: No. But she'll check in when she can. She always does.
- <Character name>: Why do you think she went with him in the first place?
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Who knows what goes on in that beautiful head of hers?
- <Character name>: Hm. Looks like Taimi's just about ready!
Approaching the laboratory main area:
- Worker: Watch it! Watch it! She's rearing up!
- Worker: I told you this was a three-asura job!
- Worker: She's loose! It's going to be a two-asura funeral!
- Taimi: Watch it! Dragon minions liberated! They're all out!
- Various comments by the numerous asura workers in the area
- Worker: On my way.
- Worker: En route!
- Worker: On it, boss!
- Researcher: Roger.
- Worker: Time to end this!
- Taimi: Keep 'em alive if you can! I need them for the test!
- Taimi: You don't have to beat their faces in! Just get them back in their positions!
Once the dragon minions have all been contained:
- Worker: Much appreciated, stranger!
- Worker: Stranger? That's the commander, you dolt!
- Worker: Sorry. I don't have my deck of "Heroes of Tyria" flash cards handy.
Speaking to Taimi:
- Taimi: Hi! Hi! Thanks for the help. How do you like my new toy?
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Taimi, this is amazing. I think. What's it do?
- Taimi: I don't want to get too technical on you, so: machine make dragons go (death sound).
- (Taimi flops down on her behind)
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: I think I can handle a bit more detail.
- Taimi: Great! First, that quarter-inch unit there is a thermogulator. Thermog coming from the asura root word for—
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Little less.
- Taimi: Ah. Okay, it runs off the heart of Omadd's Machine.
- Taimi: That, combined with my spectrum research, aided by my assistant, Spencer...
- Taimi: Will let me manipulate the Eternal Alchemy to smash Primordus and Jormag's unique signatures together.
- Taimi: Thus, cancelling them out. I.E. dragons go (death sound).
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Remarkable.
- Taimi: Isn't it? For the experiment, I've brought minions from the dragons to see if I can do it on a micro scale.
- Taimi: You just met them.
- <Character name>: When do we get to see it in action?
- Taimi: As soon as I can convince these other asura to leave. I'm not exactly sure what'll happen when I kick it on.
- Taimi: It'll likely work as intended, but could also blow this place sky high.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Let's clear the area, then.
- Taimi: Well, there's a problem with that...
- Councillor Phlunt: Hello, progeny. And how are we ruining science today?
- Taimi: You know, one of these days you'll admit how valuable I am. You'll see!
- Councillor Phlunt: Improbable. This thing is looking less and less like a "coolerator" and more and more like...
- Councillor Phlunt: Like...a monstrosity designed to go down in the annals of failed inventions!
- Taimi: Councillor Phlunt, I assure you, it will revolutionize elixir-cooling technology! I mean, who wants tepid elixirs?
- Taimi: So, if you'll kindly remove yourself and your flunkies, er, assistants from my lab...
- Councillor Phlunt: To enable you to freely plunder all the research we leave behind? I think not!
- Taimi: Uh, Commander. Maybe you could reason with (punch) the esteemed (not esteemed) councillor here?
Speaking to Councillor Phlunt:
- Councillor Phlunt: Doing Taimi's dirty work for her, huh? Out with it!
The dirty work'll be scraping your pieces off the walls if you don't leave.
- Your brash assaults will get you nowhere.
- Merely trying to help out a friend. You should try it sometime. By leaving. (Same response as ferocity above)
The situation is dangerous. Consider it: evacuation is the wisest route.
- On the contrary; protecting my research at any cost is the wisest route!
But wouldn't you say that Taimi is an untested talent?
- Untested is a polite way to say it. She's reckless and clearly second fiddle in the realm of intellect. Maybe even third or fourth!
A fine point from the first fiddle. Move out, before I de-string you.
- Please. I'm very busy and you're bothering me. And your breath is quite objectionable.
Don't you agree that the likelihood of her destroying the lab is very high?
- Hmmm. You're smarter than you look. And you look awful. Take this passcode. When the time is right, have those golems carry my inverse magniscope upstairs.
- There's something I want to show you outside. (Same response as ferocity above)
And what masterful research it is! The outside world needs your brilliance!
- Nice try, genius.
- The cost will be your face. (Same response as charisma above)
- (Phlunt leaves after using ferocity or charisma options)
- Councillor Phlunt: Your elementary attempts at persuasion sadden me. No wonder you were kicked out of the Pact.
- (Phlunt leaves after using dignity options)
- Councillor Phlunt: Okay, everyone, secure your research and start heading through the gate!
- Councillor Phlunt: Field experiments for the rest of the day! Don't forget your antichak armaments!
Interacting with Golem Control Panel:
- Golem Control Panel:Welcome to the Golem Control System, Councilor Phlunt. Please enter your password.
- I don't have it.
- If obtained the password from Phlunt
- The password is... "Password."
Speaking with the powered golem:
- PH1NT 1.0/PH1NT 2.0: Greetings, Councillor—Phlunt. You—are—measuring—unusually—tall—and—healthy—today. Is—it—time—to—get—to—work?
- Not just yet. Stand by and prepare to enter combat mode.
Various chatter from the asura in the portal area:
- Worker: What's going on?
- Worker: Are we in danger?
- Worker: I have to leave my research behind? What?
- Worker: What's happening?
- Worker: What's Taimi done now?
- Researcher: Did I hear them mention a Lazarus? Wasn't that the name of a mursaat?
Talking to Marjory:
- Marjory Delaqua: Commander!
- <Character name>: You made it!
- Marjory Delaqua: Barely. Hi, Kas. My leaving didn't go unnoticed. He's probably only a few minutes behind me.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Lazarus, or whoever, is coming here? What should we... How should we prepare?
- <Character name>: Did you get any intel while you were with him?
- Marjory Delaqua: Plenty—he's raising an army of hired mercenaries. He has a base being built in the Fire Islands.
- Marjory Delaqua: All under the guise of battling dragons, but...nothing that seems relevant to a personal weakness.
- Marjory Delaqua: Although...there was a mirror, like a hand mirror, he kept very close.
- Marjory Delaqua: I wanted a better look at it, but it never left his side.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Maybe that's what he's using to disguise himself. Mirrors have a long history with mesmer illusions.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: If we break the illusion, at the very least we'll know who we're dealing with.
- Marjory Delaqua: How?
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Magic mirrors don't like their own reflections; it runs counter to their spells.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: If we can catch him in a few enchanted mirrors of our own, it might shatter the illusion.
- Taimi: And if it doesn't?
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: He'll get to see himself murder us from various different angles?
- Taimi: You pick now to get a sense of humor?
- Taimi: I like it! I set up reflector disks around the lab to get the lighting just right to record my historic experiment. We could use those as mirrors!
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: I'll enchant them. Once the illusion is broken, I can tie him up tight with magic.
- Taimi: Commander, you grab 'em and position them in the right places. There, there, and there should work. We'll work on getting these folks out of here.
Personal conversation between Marjory and Kasmeer:
- Marjory Delaqua: How've you been? I heard you missed the fun in Divinity's Reach...
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: The countess had me observing interrogations, ministers and White Mantle, detecting lies.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: So...Camp Lazarus. Did you find what you were looking for?
- Marjory Delaqua: We made friendship bracelets!
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: You'll note I'm not laughing.
- Marjory Delaqua: Is that because it was a bad joke, or... Okay, I... I wasn't looking for anything in particular... I just—
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Next time maybe consult your girlfriend before throwing yourself in the lion's den.
- Marjory Delaqua: The commander tried to stop me too. Didn't work out so well.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: This isn't about permission. You're your own person. But you're also on a team.
- Marjory Delaqua: Dragon's Watch got along just fine without me.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: I was talking about the team you and I are on.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Maybe I would have gone with you, maybe I would have stayed. But I never got to make that choice.
- Marjory Delaqua: Look, I get it, but an opportunity like that... You don't just say "hold on a second" and write a mail.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Taimi has communicators.
- Marjory Delaqua: You know what I mean.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: (sigh) I'm glad you're back, though.
- Marjory Delaqua: Me too.
After mounting the third Holorecorder Mirror:
- <Character name>: Taimi. Done! Now what?
- Taimi: We just need to...
- Councillor Phlunt: Progeny! What did your defective machine do to the gate? It's broken!
- Taimi: It's not my— What do you mean? The gate's down?
- Councillor Phlunt: Am I not being clear? We couldn't leave if we wanted to or not!
- Marjory Delaqua: He's trapped us here.
- <Character name>: Taimi, we have to get these people out to safety.
- Taimi: But there's no other way ou— You don't mean...? You DO mean... But... (sigh) Fine. Open it. There's a hidden panel right there.
- Taimi: The password is our new dragon friend's name.
Access the Rata Novus Terminal on the east side of the room:
- Rate Novus Terminal: Welcome to the Rata Novus Automated Custodial System. Please choose a command.
/query fire golem status
- R.N.F.D. fire golems are standing by.
- /return to main menu
/query custodial golem status
- Custodial golems are standing by.
- /return to main menu
/access Taimi's favorite quaggan drawings
- Please confirm your interest in boring quaggan snuggle drawings.
- /return to main menu
After entering the password:
- Taimi: Oh my gosh! What's happening? There's a whole lab back here with a functioning gate!
- Taimi: Everyone go through it! But don't look around too much on your way!
- Councillor Phlunt: PROGENY!
- Taimi: I'm as surprised as you! Who knew the commander had a secret lab!
- Taimi: But importantly: mortal danger. You gotta go. A mursaat/not-a-mursaat, on the way...
- Councillor Phlunt: Oh, yes! Surely you're telling the truth now! I'm certainly not leaving! No one is! I mean it. Wyndall, put that down.
- Lazarus: Ah, Marjory, there you are. I'd grown used to your ever-so-pleasant company.
- Councillor Phlunt: Actually, I could use a stretch. Let's go, everyone!
- Worker: I can't believe I didn't notice that was a door.
Talking to Lazarus:
- <Character name>: Lazarus, I don't recall inviting you here. I suggest you leave.
- Lazarus: But my friends and I just arrived.
- <Character name>: Through a gate that was moments ago not letting anyone out...
- Lazarus: I'd heard there was a machine here. A machine that could kill two Elder Dragons with one blow.
- Lazarus: I just had to see it for myself. And, I was a little disappointed you didn't let me know about it.
- Lazarus: In the name of camaraderie and strategic alignment.
- <Character name>: You're right. Be my guest. It's right over there.
- Taimi: Commander! (Oh, yeah.)
- Lazarus: AH! What is this?
- <Character name>: I know you're an imposter! Show yourself!
- Lazarus: Fools! Destroy the mirrors!
- Lazarus: ARRRRGH!
- <Character name>: The charade ends here!
- Taimi: Lazarus's illusions broke our mirrors. So many years of bad luck! Get rid of them, and I'll call my repair drones.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: I can't cage him until the illusion is broken! He needs to be reflected in all three!
- Taimi: Got a crazy idea: let's see how he likes some minions on his heels!
- Taimi: Drones primed! Let's get those mirrors back up ASAP!
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Lure him back to where he's reflected in all the mirrors at once!
- Lazarus: ARRRRGH!
- Lazarus: Enough of this!
Lazarus moves towards the machine (cinematic):
- Kasmeer Meade: The illusion is broken! Now I can...
- Kasmeer Meade: (gasp) Balthazar!
After the cinematic:
- Balthazar: I will have this machine.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: He's...one of the Six! (hic)
- Balthazar: And you will burn.
- Balthazar: Starting with you, my bothersome shadow!
- Marjory Delaqua: Uggh!
- Taimi: Marjory!
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: No!
- Balthazar: See that no one lives. This tires me, and the dragons call.
- <Character name>: Get Marjory some help! I'll hold them off as long as I can.
- Taimi: Okay, but...so many of them... Commander, maybe it's time to retreat?
- Councillor Phlunt: No one retreats while Phlunt still phights! You can't aurally hear what I did, but it's very clever!
- Taimi: He came back? You came back! You DO value me!
- Councillor Phlunt: All hands, SAVE MY RESEARCH!
- Taimi: Well... I walked into that.
- Councillor Phlunt: Front lines, form a body shield around my experiment station!
- Councillor Phlunt: Sacrifice yourself for superior knowledge! Everyone else in first—I'll bring up the rear.
Once the fight is finished:
- Taimi: That looks like all of them. Lab's clear.
Checking on Marjory:
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Jory... Is she okay? (hic)
- Medic: This human is stabilized. She'll likely survive. I suppose.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: I'm sorry. I froze. It was Balthazar. The god... (hic)
- Marjory Delaqua: You...
- Medic: Ah! Heart-rate spike! This situation is stressing the human. Please vacate. Shoo!
- Taimi: The medics will take care of her. She probably just needs to be... Maybe...maybe we just go over here for a second?
Talking to Taimi:
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: I hesitated... I—
- Taimi: Could it really be Balthazar?
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: It is. He dropped the lie. (hic)
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: And his mirror. It was special—enchanted by Lyssa herself.
- Taimi: And now he has my machine! What are your gods doing, Kasmeer?
- <Character name>: To what end, I don't know, but we can't just allow it—we have to stop him.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: I'm sorry. I can't do this. I'll... I'm sorry, Commander. Tell Marjory... (hic) I love her.
- Taimi: Okay, bye, I guess... This is beyond crazy. To recap, you picked a fight with a god. The God of War.
- <Character name>: Thanks, Taimi.
- Taimi: Why do you think... What should we do now?
- <Character name>: The deception, the lies, the willingness to kill to get what he wants.
- <Character name>: God or not, my instincts say whatever he's up to can't be beneficial.
- Taimi: Marjory mentioned a base on Fire Islands. If he wants to absorb a dragon's power, that'd be the place to do it.
- Taimi: Right on top of Primordus. And, if I remember correctly, he's also the God of Fire, so... Primordus over Jormag.
- <Character name>: Then that's where I start.
- Taimi: Thankfully, I put a tracker on my machine to prevent "Phlunting."
- Taimi: I'll send an assistant to help you find it. Head to Rata Sum. I'll line up transportation from there to the islands.
- Taimi: While you do that, I'm going to lock myself in the simulation room to run a test on a new theory I want to investigate.
- <Character name>: And avoid Phlunt?
- Taimi: Always. Stay safe, Commander! This is uncharted ground. I'll be in touch!
Speaking with the Medic:
- Medic: She's still in a volatile state. Back away, please.
- Medic: I don't care if you're the commander, or... I don't know what's higher than a commander...
- Taimi: Poobah!
- Medic: Sure, that.
Entering the Dragon Lab:
- Worker: What just happened?
- Worker: I think that was one of the Mist beings worshiped by humans. Maybe?
- Researcher: Balthazar, God of War. I did my Racial Studies thesis on him. Never thought I'd get a chance to see him!
- Worker: He took Taimi's device. What's she going to do now?
- Worker: I'm just glad we survived the encounter.
Speaking with other allies and objects:
- Taimi: Well, isn't this an epoxy pot of trouble. I've never seen Kasmeer so...upset. If you'd asked me yesterday, I'd have said there was a 6.3% chance Lazarus was Balthazar. Just goes to show...
Goes to show what?
- I can still be surprised. So what's our next step? He's got my machine. We could just let him do his worst with the dragons? Save us the trouble.
I'm not inclined to trade one problem for another.
- You're thinking about how he absorbed all that magic from the bloodstone, hm? I've been thinking about that too. Why does he need all that power? Is he sick?
- (if human)
Someone once told me it was impossible to look upon the gods.
- Another data point to support that Balthazar isn't as powerful as he once was. It could be the frequency of his glowy godness has been reduced. (continues with "He's not as powerful...")
He's not as powerful as the legends made me expect.
- I need time. None of this adds up, and I'm starting to get an uneasy feeling. I've got a few avenues of theory to explore.
- I'm going after him. We need to know what he's up to. We'll talk soon.
- Marjory Delaqua: She just left? She left me... Made a portal and went? Just like that.
Kas was very upset, Jory. In shock.
- I almost died because she...froze.
But you didn't, so just focus on getting better. I have to go after him.
- I've never had faith in the gods the way Kas does. She still prays to them. I...I haven't since I was a child—never felt them close to me. I can't... Did we really just come face-to-face with a god?
- (if human)
- Yes. We did. It was definitely Balthazar. But...something's not right.
Depends on how you define "god." But...something wasn't right.
- Why didn't he just kill us outright? I mean...he's a god! We almost had him. If Kas hadn't... But, he's a god! He should have wiped us all out with a thought.
- (if human)
- I don't understand either. His power wasn't what I'd expected of a god.
Maybe. His power wasn't what I'd expect from a being with his reputation.
- Needless to say, I won't be getting after him anymore. That maybe wasn't the best decision on my part, though I did get some helpful information.
About that, do you know where the White Mantle stand?
- The White Mantle? You probably noticed that there weren't any with Lazarus—I mean Balthazar—when he showed up. It's because he cut ties with them. I should have paid more attention to that.
Cut ties? What does that mean?
- I think he killed a bunch of them. I heard him say something about them turning on him? I didn't understand it at the time, but I suppose if they found out who he was, their heads would've exploded.
He probably knew he was about to be exposed.
- Yeah, that makes sense. Their usefulness came to an end. It seems, at long last, that the White Mantle are done. Unless the real Lazarus is still out there.
That's the last thing we need. Let's focus on the troubles we can see, OK?
- What are you going to do now?
I'm going to track him using Taimi's device and find out what he's doing.
- Be careful. The gods are mysterious. They don't think like we do. A god. I suppose I should go after Kas, but... She chose him...over me.
- Get some rest. This shook us all up. I'll talk to you soon.
- I'd better get going. Take care of yourself.
- I better get after him. My ride's waiting.
- I should run. You take care of yourself.
- Yeah. She wasn't thinking. I have to go. See you soon.
- Broken Mirror: Balthazar's mirror lies shattered and sapped of its magic.
Examine it more closely.
- (if human mesmer)
- The markings on it identify it as powerful mesmer magic. The design contains Lyssa's signature sigils, indicating that it was hers. She must have helped Balthazar for some reason known only to her.
- (if human non-mesmer)
- The decorative elements on it resemble those you've seen used by mesmers, and those are Lyssa's symbols around the edge. This was definitely god magic, thought now it's broken and has no magic left.
- (if non-human mesmer)
- The markings on it indicate it was powerful mesmer magic unlike any you've ever seen. Now that it's broken, it won't work ever again. It's trash.
- The decorative elements on it look like those you've seen used by mesmers. Whoever made it was a master craftsman. It's dead and useless now, though still beautiful.
- Leave it for Taimi to destroy.
- Councillor Phlunt: Astounding! It never ceases to amaze me how that annoying little genius manages to put one over on me. Your lab, indeed. Does she think I'm stupid as well as blind?
- (if asura)
Don't be daft. It is mine. Taimi is working under my tutelage.
- Under your... Hmph! I suppose you do walk the cutting edge of dragon research.
- And Taimi is my primary researcher, under my protection. Don't forget that.
- She has many words she uses to describe you.
- Standing inside the confinement area will kick out the character from the force field once it gets activated.
- Once the dragon minions have all been subdued, they are lured back into the confinement areas with "holographic bait" in the form of a pig.