When a player opens the chest, she will sometimes transform the player into an animal, which grants them an achievement, and the event Stop the skritt burglar before it escapes with the treasure will immediately start. Players must then defeat her to complete the event, but she will run around, avoiding combat, often leading players into hostile foes. When hit, she will sometimes drop loot bags that will stay on the ground for a while, so players can safely ignore them and focus on the event until the Skritt Burglar is defeated or escapes, then backtrack their steps to look for the loot bags and open them. These loot bags will have a distinctive purple glow so they can be easily noticed. If defeated, she will drop the big bag she carries around, which will have several items.
- For a list of locations where the burglar's chest has been known to appear, see: Skritt Burglar/locations
The Skritt Burglar can be encountered in every region of Tyria except the Ruins of Orr. The animal you can get turned into, and thus the achievement you can get, depends on what region the burglar's chest appears in:
- Behind the Mask (Raccoon) = Ascalon
- Chicken Scramble (Chicken) = Kryta or The Silverwastes
- A Waddle to Remember (Hippo Calf) = Maguuma Jungle
- Llama Drama (Llama) = Dry Top
- Jackaloping Along (Jackalope) = Shiverpeak Mountains
- Immune to crippling effects
- The burglar throws a handful of projectile elixirs at random nearby enemies. Each elixir shatters the first time it comes into contact with a foe, morphing the target into a region-specific critter for 5 seconds.
- The burglar throws a handful of projectile elixirs at random nearby enemies. Each elixir shatters the first time it comes into contact with a foe, chilling and crippling the target for 5 seconds.
- Stolen skills
- 1(Permanent. Cannot be removed. Grants immunity to freeze, petrify, knockdown, knockback, launch, stun, daze, float, sink, fear, immobilized, chilled, and crippled.)
Small Loot Bags (1-3)
- 1 random piece of equipment of your character's level with Fine rarity or above.
- Chance at the following:
Fine Crafting Materials Bones Claws Dust Fangs Scales Totems Venom Sacs Vials of Blood Tier 1 Bone Chip Tiny Claw Pile of Glittering Dust Tiny Fang Tiny Scale Tiny Totem Tiny Venom Sac Vial of Weak Blood Tier 2 Bone Shard Small Claw Pile of Shimmering Dust Small Fang Small Scale Small Totem Small Venom Sac Vial of Thin Blood Tier 3 Bone Claw Pile of Radiant Dust Fang Scale Totem Venom Sac Vial of Blood Tier 4 Heavy Bone Sharp Claw Pile of Luminous Dust Sharp Fang Smooth Scale Engraved Totem Full Venom Sac Vial of Thick Blood Tier 5 Large Bone Large Claw Pile of Incandescent Dust Large Fang Large Scale Intricate Totem Potent Venom Sac Vial of Potent Blood Tier 6 Ancient Bone Vicious Claw Pile of Crystalline Dust Vicious Fang Armored Scale Elaborate Totem Powerful Venom Sac Vial of Powerful Blood
- Junk (1-4)
Tier 1 (2 ) Tier 2 (9 ) Tier 3 (16 ) Brittle Bone Crumbling Bone Porous Bone Fin Dorsal Fin Tail Fin Pebble Gravel Stone Seashell Shell Spiral Shell Bottle of Rum Bottle of Whiskey Bottle of Scotch
Large Loot Bag (1)
- She's completely immune to all forms of crowd control, making it impossible for players to slow her down.
- She will drop a small loot bag after for every 25% of health taken from her.
- If she's defeated too quickly, she wont have enough time to drop all of her small loot bags.
- She always drops 1 large loot bag when defeated.
- The API currently lists 90 events of the Skritt Burglar.
You can increase your chances of getting achievements in following ways:
- Equip ranged Basic quality weapon and lose all traits and sigils/runes that can apply any kind of damage over time condition (and if you can - lower your critical chance). You will hit Burglar many times more and your chance of getting transformed will get much higher.
- Play in the morning when maps are much less populated. Opening chest triggers the event and can attract some unaware players that will want to simply kill the Burglar.
- Play in a party of 2-3 people and when looking for the Burglar's chests locate on different spawn points, (but on same map, when chest spawns you or your party won't have to load new map to teleport to chest). This will save you a lot of money, you won't need to teleport all the time to check all the spawn points.