Romke's Final Voyage
Romke's Final Voyage
- Desmina's Hallows
- All Races
- Savior of Tyria
- Preceded by
- Against the Corruption
- Followed by
- The Source of Orr
Romke's Final Voyage (level 80)
Find Captain Romke's ghost on the shores of the Mausollus Sea.
- Speak with the ghost of the great norn explorer, Captain Romke.
Acquire Romke's map and use it to locate the Source of Orr.
- Meet Romke's ghost and his crew near Desmina's Hallows.
- Travel north through the caves and on to the shore.
- Repel the Risen until air support arrives.
- Clear any remaining Risen from the beach.
- Retrieve Romke's map.
- Defeat the Risen version of Romke and his crew.
- Return to Romke on the shore.
- Orrian Amulet
- One of the following: Superior Rune of the Pirate, Superior Rune of the Undead, Superior Rune of Grenth
Captain Romke is located in the south of Cursed Shore near the Shipwreck Rock Waypoint. After talking to him, the quest marker moves a short distance away; this is the entrance to the instance.
You'll meet up with Captain Romke and three of his crew members, as well as Trahearne. The magical map is far to the northwest, so to get there you'll need to fight your way through the cave of Desmina's Hallows. A variety of Risen block the route; as you go along, Captain Romke will tell you the story of how he was shipwrecked here, and of his crew's final moments. When you reach the beaches on the other side, a bone ship appears and starts firing its catapults at you. To make matters worse, a horde of Risen spawn. They will not attack you however and they move very little, so saving them for after the the next cutscene might be your best bet. Trahearne signals for air support, but it will take time to arrive: you'll have to hold out with Romke's crew for some time.
Note that as of Feb 2013, the Risen in this quest are mainly level 81 and 82, so try not to ignore ranged attackers.
Do your best to stay alive. You can't do much about the catapults, so keep moving to avoid taking unnecessary damage from them. Romke's crew are good fighters, and as opposed to in earlier builds of the game they now seem capable of surviving the poison clouds left behind after catapult shots explode fairly well. Eventually a cutscene plays, showing a Pact airship firing on the bone ship and destroying it. After this you get told to clear the remaining forces on the beach, but in reality only the nearest group or two of risen needs to be killed. Romke and his crew will be revive if killed by catapults, although they stay on the beach; the honor of retrieving the map is left to you and Trahearne. It is located nearby, inside a chest near a sunken ship. One final challenge awaits: the Risen bodies of Romke's crew patrol the waters near the chest. Put them to rest and then collect the map. After bringing it back to Romke, he will show you how to use it, and a cutscene will play. The cutscene shows the exact path to the location of the source of Orr, but since it is so far away from your current location it can be difficult to memorize the directions. The important thing to remember is that the entrance is only accessible by swimming underwater. After the cutscene, Romke and his crew thank you for freeing them, and the mission ends.
- Various parts of this quest can be very difficult for inexperienced or solo players to defeat. It is recommended to choose the alternative quest Cathedral of Silence for an easier encounter.
- Orrian Spectral Guard
- Risen Abomination
- Risen Drake
- Risen Drake Hatchling
- Risen Farmer
- Risen Grub
- Risen Noble
- Risen Putrifier
- Risen Spider
- Risen Spider Hatchling
- Risen Squire
- Risen Villager
- Risen Wizard
- Veteran Risen Giant
- Veteran Risen Knight
- Veteran Undead Romke
(Upon finding Captain Romke.)
- Captain Romke: Greetings, traveler. I am Romke...well, I was Romke. It's been a long time since I encountered such nobility on these corrupted shores.
- <Character name>: Well met, Romke. I've come to recover your legendary map. My allies and I seek the Source of Orr so that we can cleanse this blasted landscape.
- Captain Romke: At last. Thank the Spirits! My crew and I have waited centuries for someone like you.
- Captain Romke: We were explorers seeking to circumnavigate the globe. Our journey ended when Orr rose beneath us, trapping our ship on the spire of a mountain.
- Captain Romke: The undead swarmed around us. We knew we had to get out. We fought through and commandeered a pirate ship, but in the end, we were overwhelmed.
- Captain Romke: The map you seek is a sacred thing, blessed by all four Spirits of the Wild. Even in death, we could not leave it in this wretched place.
- Captain Romke: While it languishes, trapped and forgotten, so must our spirits. But if someone like you reclaims the map, we can finally move on.
- Captain Romke: I can tell your motives are pure. Come. Meet us at Mausollus Shores and we will show you where the map lies. The rest is up to you.
(Upon meeting Romke's ghost and his crew.)
- Captain Romke: Welcome, explorers. The sunken wreck that holds the map is this way, just offshore.
- Trahearne: Thank you, Romke. We‘ll do our best to set you and your crew free.
- Captain Romke: The map will show the way to your destination. Recover it, and we all benefit.
- Captain Romke: Those are the remains of our ship, the 'Wayfarer.' I mourn her as if she were my own mother.
(While travelling north through the cave.)
- Captain Romke: I swore the magical map could take us to Cantha. Bet against Wolf himself that we'd succeed.
- Captain Romke: It was my stubbornness that brought us here. Curse the dragon of Orr, and curse my pride!
- Captain Romke: The sea fled from under us-the mountains rose, and the Wayfarer was scuttled in an instant.
- Captain Romke: Thousands of undead, covered in seaweed and brine, marching toward Arah.
- Captain Romke: I've never seen such horror. One norn ship-against a tide of foulness and abomination.
- Captain Romke: Lesser norn might have hidden in fear. Died of starvation. My crew? They died fighting! We four were the last.
- Captain Romke: We built a smaller craft out of our wreckage, and planned to make our way to Lion's Arch. But we failed.
- Captain Romke: Hauke fell first, sword in one hand and a dead man's arm in the other.
- Captain Romke: They overpowered Sjoerd with numbers. It took fifty of them to break his strength!
- Captain Romke: Yfke chose to drown rather than let them beat her.
- Captain Romke: To my shame, the scow was scuttled. The map, lost. And we, cursed to walk this land.
- Captain Romke: If we return Wolf's map...the Spirits of the Wild will finally forgive my foolish pride.
(Upon reaching the shore outside the cave.)
- Trahearne: There's a Risen ship off the coast. Stand ready!
- Trahearne: Ho there, pirates! If you want to survive, help us defend this beachhead.
- Sharn the Vindictive: Nice try, Mr. Fancy Pants, but we only fight for gold. Run for it, boys!
- Trahearne: We're better off without those cowardly pirates, but we still have a fight on our hands.
- Trahearne: I'm calling in air support. We need to hold on until it arrives.
- Captain Romke: You can have our help, but we can‘t touch the map. You must do it.
- Trahearne: Oh, we will. We're not leaving until our path to the Source of Orr is clear.
- Captain Romke: We'll hold out on the beach. When the attacks slow to a halt, seize the moment-enter the water, and retrieve the map.
(While fighting off the Risen.)
- Hauke: Romke! More undead are headed this way! Let's charge 'em!
- Captain Romke: Stand fast, Hauke! This fight is for the map, not for glory! Once it's safe - Wolf will accept us into the Mists at last.
- Hauke: Aye, sir. I don't like it, but I'll follow your lead.
(After clearing Risen from the beachhead.)
- Captain Romke: We've been waiting so long, and we're so close. Please, reclaim the map and set us free.
(After acquiring the map from the treasure chest.)
- <Character name>: I have the map, Marshal, but it looks like an ordinary nautical chart of the area.
- Trahearne: As expected. My research indicates the true map will remain dormant until the traveler opens it and speaks their destination aloud.
- Trahearne: The map will then displays the target location, everything around it, and everything between it and the traveler's current position.
- Trahearne: We shouldn't linger here. Let's return to Romke on the shore. If he's there, he can verify the map‘s authenticity.
(Upon returning to Romke with the map.)
- Captain Romke: You found the map. This is a great day!
- Trahearne: Indeed. But you must show us how to use the map to find the Source of Orr.
- Captain Romke: I shall. It starts by calling upon the Spirits of the Wild. Their power makes the map function.
- Trahearne: Good work today, Commander. We freed the spirits of Romke and his crew, and now we have the means to find the Source of Orr.
- <Character name>: We still have to reach the Source to complete the cleansing ritual. Zhaitan's forces won't make that easy.
- Trahearne: Nothing worthwhile is easy, or without a price. Reversing the dragon's corruption will be a dangerous trial, but it will be done.
- Trahearne: We'll regroup at the Artesian Waters, then press on to the Source.
 My Story