Killing Fields (Level 60)
Join with the Vigil and defend Lion's Arch.
- Read Almorra's Letter (Check your mail)
- Report to General Almorra at Fort Marriner
- Help Almorra inspire the Vigil soldiers.
- Defend the beach.
- Speak to Almorra
- Choose your next course of action.
- All professions
- One of the following: Carrion Darksteel Mace, Assassin's Darksteel Sword, Cleric's Hard Scepter
- One of the following: Carrion Darksteel Axe, Carrion Darksteel Mace, Assassin's Darksteel Sword
- One of the following: Assassin's Darksteel Sword, Carrion Darksteel Axe, Carrion Darksteel Greatsword
- One of the following: Berserker's Darksteel Pistol, Cleric's Darksteel Pistol, Carrion Darksteel Pistol
- One of the following: Rampager's Darksteel Dagger, Assassin's Darksteel Sword, Berserker's Darksteel Pistol
- One of the following: Rampager's Darksteel Dagger, Cleric's Hard Scepter, Valkyrie Hard Staff
- One of the following: Carrion Darksteel Axe, Rampager's Darksteel Dagger, Cleric's Hard Scepter
- One of the following: Cleric's Hard Scepter, Valkyrie Hard Staff, Assassin's Darksteel Sword
You meet up with Almorra Soulkeeper and several other Vigil soldiers. The beaches ahead are swarming with Risen, and it's your goal to eliminate them all. The soldiers will split off in three directions: one group to the left, one to the middle, one to the right. It's up to you to decide where you want to fight.
This mission is largely luck-based; you're gambling on not drawing the attention of too many Risen at once, so that your NPC allies can soak up the damage. The Vigil do a decent job of staying alive, and you can revive them if needed. However, there are a lot of foes, and additional ones will come from the water periodically. If an entire group gets overwhelmed, it's a problem, since then the Risen will accumulate on that side; reviving all the troops takes time, and it is difficult to take on that many enemies at once.
You should prioritize taking out Risen Abominations and Risen Plague Carriers as soon as possible. They deal devastating damage and quickly wipe out NPCs if left unattended. Alternatively you can stay behind and use the arrow carts to kill the risen with minimal effort or danger.
After all the Risen have been defeated, the mission is over, and you get a choice of what to do for the next mission.
- All races
- Vigil Crusader: It's so quiet... You know I was born here? I've never heard this city so silent.
- Vigil Crusader: Yes. It would be peaceful if only it didn't feel as if everything were holding its breath.
- Vigil Tactician: In case you haven't realized it, this is war! Stay focused!
- Vigil Tactician: Left...left...left, right, left!
- Vigil Tactician: Better. Strike again, and this time, keep your shield up!
- Vigil Tactician: Aim gently, and as you breathe out...pull the trigger.
Approaching meeting point:
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: Scouts are reporting undead just off the coast. It's a small force, but substantial enough for concern.
- Trahearne: Zhaitan's overconfident, assuming Claw Island was the only thing standing between its army and Lion's Arch.
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: Then it's our job to show the dragon how wrong it was.
Upon talking to General Almorra Soulkeeper (cutscene):
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: At ease, Warmaster. I heard what happened at Claw Island. The Lionguard - no, the whole city - owes you a debt of honor.
- <Character name>: I just did my duty, ma'am. Forgal was the brave one. He gave his life to save us.
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: He will be remembered as one of the Vigil's great heroes, and he will be dearly missed.
- Trahearne: Forgal's sacrifice held them back, but it was your bravery that led us to safety, my friend. I am grateful to you.
- Trahearne: If I can aid in this defense, Warmaster, I'm at your service.
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: You took out enough of Zhaitan's forces to stop the imminent attack on Lion's Arch, but the dragon won't pause for long.
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: There are reports of undead landing up and down the coast, likely an attempt to soften the city's perimeter.
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: We need to organize the Vigil's forces and defend the beach. Come, let's review the troops.
While reviewing the troops with General Almorra Soulkeeper:
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: Crusaders! Forces of the Elder Dragon Zhaitan stand on the very threshold of Lion's Arch.
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: If Lion's Arch falls, the nations of Tyria will not be far behind. Fight for your homes! Fight for your families!
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: This is what we've trained for! This is what we've bled for! This is what we will die to defend!
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: We will hold this ground! We are the Vigil!
- Trahearne: You can't do this alone. I'll stand with you.
Talking with Trahearne:
- Trahearne: The Vigil troops may hold this beach, but more undead will come. We need a better solution.
- We'll find one. But for now, we make a stand — here.
Talking with Laranthir:
- Laranthir of the Wild: I never thought this day would come. I like Orr far away—not standing on Tyria's doorstep.
- Zhaitan's hunger can't be sated. We're lucky we were ready.
- I'm glad you're among us, <character name>. We need you more than ever.
- I have a question.
- Don't give in to fear.
- Stay strong.
Talking with General Soulkeeper:
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: Vigil scouts report massive numbers of undead along the coast. We must hold out or Lion's Arch will fall.
- What's your plan, General?
- We have soldiers mustering on th ebeach ready to take your orders. Command them and defend this point.
- I'll do my best.
After defending the beach (cutscene):
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: Well done, soldiers! That should thin out the undead and take pressure off Lion's Arch for a while longer.
- Trahearne: The Vigil bought us time, but not advantage. The undead don't get weary, and they have an almost unending supply of troops.
- Trahearne: We must retake Claw Island and drive Zhaitan from these shores.
- Trahearne: General Soulkeeper, there are many brave souls throughout Tyria who may be willing to lend a hand, if the Vigil reached out to them.
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: True. A few come to mind. A norn called Fibharr has been making his name in the tournaments. Fights like a rabid drake.
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: I also know two fine charr soldiers that I've been trying to recruit for years - Snarl and Galina. They'd be a tremendous help.
- <Character name>: These sound promising. I could go, ma'am, and speak on behalf of the order.
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: Good initiative. Pick one or the other, and do your best to bring them aboard. Meanwhile, I'll return to Vigil Keep and rally our crusaders there.
- Trahearne: Whatever you decide, I'm going with you. You need the help - and I owe it to Forgal.
Talking with General Soulkeeper:
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: Well done, Warmaster. Forgal—bless his sour heart—would be proud.
- I'd like to think so, ma'am.
Talking to Trahearne:
- Trahearne: We need reinforcements. I can think of two possibilities—a norn pit-champion, or a warband of Iron Legion charr.
- What are their strenghts? Start with the norn.
- Fibharr is powerful, skilled, and charismatic...but he's also the most egotistical snot-brain I've ever met.
- I've made my decision.
- Which will it be, <character name>? The norn gladiator or the charr engineers?