Blighting Trees are corrupted versions of the Pale Tree which function as large, powerful mordrem-making factories. Five fully grown Blighting Trees can be found throughout Heart of Maguuma, each with a powerful Mordrem Guard to watch over it; in addition, three saplings and one tree in the process of being corrupted can be found.
Living bodies are placed inside a Mordrem Pod to create mordrem versions of entities placed inside, while dead bodies are placed within Blighting Pods for the same purpose. Blighting Trees are capable of creating physically perfect clones of the individuals placed in pods, though made of plant instead. Living individuals placed in pods with strong personalities are known to leave remnants of such in their mordrem clones.
|In Rising Flames, Taimi theorized that after Zhaitan’s death in the personal story, the other Elder Dragons have consumed the death spectrum allowing them to use corpses in the manufacturing of minions. Taimi suggests that the reason that Mordremoth was able to use corpses in the Blighting pods was because of his consumption of the death spectrum.(See Lore Discrepancy.)|
Known blighting trees
- The Corpse Grove, in Verdant Brink, guarded by Legendary Blademaster Diarmid
- Morwood Wilds, in Auric Basin, three saplings, guarded by Champion Blademaster Cellona
- The Great Tree, in Tangled Depths, a tree being corrupted into a Blighting Tree
- Central Blighting Tower, in Dragon's Stand, guarded by Legendary Blademaster Diarmid
- Northern Blighting Tower, in Dragon's Stand, guarded by Legendary Stavemaster Adryn
- Southern Blighting Tower, in Dragon's Stand, guarded by Legendary Axemaster Hareth
- Heart of Thorns, in Dragon's Stand, guarded by Faolain