Structured PvP is a Player versus Player mode which allows competition on an even footing. There are two primary modes of play; tournament and hot join play.
A character used to enter structured PvP will retain race and profession. The character will be given a fixed maximum level, and all skills and items will be available without the need to unlock them first. Scores are tracked on the scoreboard. Player statistics will be tracked and used to generate a player ranking.
Contrary to World PvP, structured PvP doesn't grant rewards usable in PvE. On the other hand, players can earn glory and use it to buy better looking equipment from glory vendors. They also earn rank which gives random pvp awards.
There are several different maps for structured PvP which may have different objectives, though the only objective which will be in release is conquest.
Tournaments are the more organized side of structured PvP. Talk to the tournament master to join. Tournament play is always 5v5 and matches take place on the same maps that are used for hot join play. Tournaments run with varying frequency, and different reward levels allow some players to get their feet wet in the smaller tournaments while more-organized teams battle it out in the larger tournaments.
Each tournament pits eight teams of five players against each other. Teams that excel during the three-round, single-elimination tournament are rewarded with tournament chests full of valuable loot.
Tournaments come in the following flavors:
- Pickup: single-elimination tournaments wait for 8 teams to join before starting. This tournament has 3 rounds of eliminations, with winners receiving qualifier points.
- Monthly: Require an amount of qualifier points from the pickup tournaments to join.
- Yearly: These grand tournaments feature the winners from the monthly tournaments slugging it out for the right to call themselves the best PvP players of the year.
- Player-Run: customized by players, these tournaments allow for great flexibility and unique bragging rights.
Hot join play
Hot join play uses a game selection system similar to many FPS games (first-person shooter games) which allows individuals or groups to join a game based on map, available space, and other settings. It will have variable team sizes which can be different per server so might be one versus one, five versus five or ten versus ten.
It was mentioned in an interview that players will be able to join the same server regularly, forming groups of players that frequently play together.
Glory is a currency that players can spend to unlock reward chests stuffed with useful loot, while Rank is a measurement of your success in PvP. You’ll receive valuable reward chests as you climb in Rank.
- Conquest will be the only mode available at the game launch.
- There is a currently unnamed underwater PvP map that is undergoing in-house testing.
- The sPvP servers are not tied to a specific world. From the lobby you can actually get teamed up or against players from other worlds.