Structured PvP is a Player versus Player mode which allows competition on an even footing. There are two primary modes of play; tournament and hot join play.
A character used to enter structured PvP will retain race and profession. The character will be given a fixed maximum level, and all skills and items will be available without the need to unlock them first. Player statistics will be tracked and used to generate a player ranking.
There are several different maps for structured PvP which may have different objectives, though the only objective which will be in release is conquest.
Tournaments are the more organized side of structured PvP. Tournament play is always 5v5 and matches take place on the same maps that are used for hot join play. Tournaments run with varying frequency, and different reward levels allow some players to get their feet wet in the smaller tournaments while more-organized teams battle it out in the larger tournaments.
Tournaments come in the following flavors:
- Pickup: single-elimination tournaments wait for 8 teams to join before starting. This tournament has 3 rounds of eliminations, with winners receiving qualifier points.
- Monthly: Require an amount of qualifier points from the pickup tournaments to join.
- Yearly: These grand tournaments feature the winners from the monthly tournaments slugging it out for the right to call themselves the best PvP players of the year.
- Player-Run: customized by players, these tournaments allow for great flexibility and unique bragging rights.
Hot join play
Hot join play uses a game selection system similar to many FPS games which allows individuals or groups to join a game based on map, available space, and other settings. It will have variable team sizes which can be different per server so might be one versus one, five versus five or ten versus ten.
It was mentioned in an interview that players will be able to join the same server regularly, forming groups of players that frequently play together.
- Conquest will be the only mode available at the game launch.
- There is a currently unnamed underwater PvP map that is undergoing in-house testing.
- ^ Guild Wars 2 Interview Part 1: Fighting Fires, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- ^ About lore and mechanics with Eric Flannum: GuildWars.pl Exclusive, GuildWars2.pl
- ^ Guild Wars 2 PL, About lore and mechanics with Eric Flannum
- ^ ArenaNet System Designer Confirms Underwater Combat for Guild Wars 2, Live Interview with Jonathan Sharp